- Meditation is the practice of focusing ones mind on a thought, object or activity in the attempt to reach a state of calm and mental clarity.
- Meditation can be practiced while sitting or laying down, generally in a quiet and serene environment, with ones eyes shut and sometimes reciting a mantra or by listening to a guide.
- The practice of meditation can be used to help with anxiety, depression and reduce stress.
Different ways to Practice:
There are six thought of popular ways to meditate; Mindfulness meditation, Spiritual meditation, Focused meditation, Movement meditation, Mantra meditation & Transcendental meditation.
- Mindfulness meditation: Originating from Buddhist teachings, mindfulness meditation is classed as one of the more popular styles.
This type of meditation is about paying attention to your thoughts and wonderings as they flow through your mind. The point is to not become bogged down by the thoughts which come into your mind, merely observe them and then let them go without passing judgement. Concentrating on your breathing or the feel of where you are sat is key to help keep this meditation centred.
- Spiritual meditation: Has roots in Eastern religions, and is about reflection and the presence of silence in the universe.
Commonly essential oils can be used to heighten this type of meditation, and if your the kind of person that likes silence when relaxing, this maybe the meditation for you. Spiritual meditation can be practiced at home and is a kin to worship.
- Focused meditation: Using your senses. By focusing on one thing, e.g. your breath, a flame, or a rhythmic hum to help direct your attention.
As beginners, your mind may wander when first practiced. But this meditation is about bringing back your focus and over time your focus will increase more and more.
- Movement meditation: Derives its zen from the form of movement. Great for people who hate to be sat in one place for too long.
Any form of gentle movement works for this meditation, leisurely walking, subtle dance, gardening ect.
- Mantra meditation: This style is where the well known phrase "Om" comes from, because with this type of meditation the use of repetitive sounds to help centre the self and clear the mind are used.
By using a word or phrase or even a sound to focus on, which is said loudly or quietly after an amount of time you'll become more in tune with your surroundings, and heighten your awareness.
- Transcendental meditation: This meditation has had the most scientific studies done on its benefits. And much like Mantra meditation this also uses spoken words or phrases.
A far more structured meditation, which is more personalised to the student which requires dedication.
I hope you enjoyed your introduction to meditation. But what ever your choice of relaxation hopefully this post helped you find the right style for you. Happy De-Stressing guys.
Don't forget to download your copy of Paraestrals Volume I: A vampire's awakening for only 99p from the
Amazon kindle store NOW!
And check out our official site for all upcoming news and updates: